Director of Creative
TravelSmith Outfitters, located in Novato, just 30 minutes north of San Francisco, is the premier catalog and e-commerce retailer of travel apparel and accessories. TravelSmith offers a comprehensive benefits package including 401k with company match, excellent work environment, and fantastic product discounts. We are currently searching for a Director of Creative.
TravelSmith is seeking an experienced creative professional with a strong background in fashion, photo art direction, graphic design, people management, and an innate understanding of the importance of alignment between visual brand and copy voice. The successful candidate is a “hands on” super-star who will lead our creative team, and co-create the visual and voice brand-standards. TravelSmith is located on a 66 acre wooded campus in the rolling hills of Novato, California – equidistant (45 minutes) from San Francisco, Napa and the Point Reyes National Seashore. We offer a friendly, informal, fast-paced work environment with great benefits.
- Produce intelligent, strategic, creative solutions that reflect the personality of the TravelSmith Brand
- Effectively manage and lead direct reports in visual creative design, photography, copywriting and production across all printed and online media
- Manage and direct sourcing of contract labor, including models, photographers and crew, stylists and photo directors
- Envision and craft creative briefs, incorporating seasonal merchandise direction with location “stories”, ultimately bringing those visions to life in design, photography and copy
- Partner with the E-Commerce team to effectively execute online projects such as web site, online advertising and online marketing communications
- Budgeting, expense control and approval of photo shoots
- Collaborate with Executive Team and Merchants in development of visual styling guides, trend presentations, catalog pagination and effective communication of brand attributes
- Work closely with Marketing to develop effective promotions, communicate new services, and control paper and printing expenses. Develop effective space ad creative to meet Marketing program objectives. Coordinate and assure a standard level of consistency between various and sundry collateral advertising deliverables
- Demonstrated knowledge of a high level of visual design within the consumer-direct space, and creative production cycles (print)
Knowledge, Skill & Experience:
- 6 - 8 years of combined experience in the following areas: direct response creative, design, pre-press/print production and photo-shoot direction. This experience in the women’s apparel consumer-direct space highly desirable.
- Possess a high standard of visual design, and be able to demonstrate this
- Have 5 plus years managing staff and freelancers
- Foster a positive, productive work environment, with demonstrated ability to lead, build a strong team and motivate others
- A visual portfolio demonstrating creative talent, refined sense of graphic design and use of typography, use of images with overall simplicity and powerful sense of communication, specifically for the apparel or fashion industries
- Exceptional ability to see projects through all phases of implementation including concept, design development, and resource allocation/management
- Directs design and visual branding for TravelSmith website
- Proficient in Macintosh system and software: InDesign and Photoshop (CS4 or higher), Illustrator, and OSX
- Proven track record of fostering a positive and productive work environment and motivating staff towards a desired result
- Must bring and leverage strong industry-based network and other external resources; freelance designers, illustrators, photographers, etc.
- Strong information-seeking skills and a penchant for resourcefulness
- Tremendous attention to detail, and extraordinary time-management skills
- Thorough understanding of print process and color theory
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superb sense of style and design. High taste level. Strong fashion sense.
- Knowledge of current trends in photography style and technique
- Bachelors Degree in Advertising or Design or comparable experience
Submit letter of interest and resume with salary requirements to Human Resources or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5568 West Chester Road,
West Chester, OH 45069
Contact Us By Phone, Fax
Available 1AM-8PM EST
7 days a week
24 hour phone orders
Contact the Executive Team
Vice President of
TravelSmith Corporate Offices
773 San Marin Drive,
Novato, CA 94945
For public relations inquiries,
please click here